10 May 2012

Another letter from Robert

I bring you another letter from Robert Harris, my favorite Confederate. (My Favorite Confederate sounds like a vaguely tasteless '60s sitcom, along the lines of Hogan's Heroes, don't you think?) Several of you have asked me about the possibility of scanning the diary and posting that online. I'm pleased to announce that one of my jobs this summer will be to scan documents into the Tuscaloosa Area Virtual Museum, and I will do my best to make sure the diary is put up.


Flag of the 8th AL Infantry, to which Robert was attached.





1861
ManassasCamp Jones Aug 26th

Dear Father. It has been some time since I have written or heard from you. I take the present opportunity of writing as I have a chance of sending it by one of our company, who is going directly to your village. I have nothing interesting to write about; since the battle of Manassas I have been in ranks though left discresion *any with me. I was selected by our Captain strongly to hold my position which was to assist Dr Abrahams. It is true it has been great benefit to me to continue with him, but I think it my duty to remain in ranks. I feel very much hurt that I was so situated that I could ent be in the great and glorious battle of Manassas, but providence controls all things and perhaps it was better for me that I was left I was left in Winchester with thirteen sick men. Dr Abrahams sick in bed it devolved upon me to attend to all, to buy provision, and administer medicines, which I took a pride and pleasure in, and by my strict attention, I flatter myself of gaining not only the confidence but the friendship of not only our company, but of a great many others in different companies. Dr Pegram and Abrahams has done all their power to assist me in my last undertaking. If I only could

The next page was cut in half around the time this letter was written. The top half of the page is missing, cut out with a blunt knife, and the letter picks up on the bottom half of page 15. No text is missing.

have had my books I could have improved my self so much. But Dear Father I can hardly discribe my feelings, and my present notions to you at this time, I feel almost perfectly reckless and feel as if I dident care one iota for nothing. I care nothing for company. I prefer being alone all the time, very frequently go days without speaking a dozen words to any body, even to my best friends, and they very often reprove me for it, but I can’t for my life help it. There is at present a great deal of sickness in our army, and especially in the 11th Alabama Regt. They bury from five to six a day, the disease principally Pneumonia. I received a short note from Bob. Sometime since he was well, and just on the eve of marching to Newport News. I haven’t answered it yet. This is the first letter that I have written in five weeks. I have no idea what movements will be made next. Everything is quick at present. Joe Jones is not expected to recover. TB Edwards and Bob Smith will be discharged and will be at home soon. When I write again I can write something that will interest you, as I am keeping a diary and gathering all the events that has transpired since I left home. The drum is now beating and my light must be put out.
PS                                      Your Son, JW Harris
     We have a very rigid Col Ben Alston from SC, some kin no doubt to JTA. Write soon.
JWH

No comments:

Post a Comment