26 January 2013

Andrew and Sallie: a love story


Sara ‘Sallie’ V Caraker was born in Georgia, in Aug 1870. Andrew Dayton Echols was also born in Georgia, in May 1862. They were married in 1889 or 1890, and had a son named George in 1902. Andrew was first married in 1883, but widowed shortly thereafter. He was a Methodist minister. Andrew died 21 Jan 1939, in Cherokee Co., at the age of 75. Sarah died 14 Feb 1953, in Spalding Co., at the age of 83.

I found this collection of fourteen letters in an antique shop last week. Each was read and then stored in its original envelope. They were written between January and October 1889, and are presented in order. However, there are obviously several letters I do not have. Thus, the love story is imperfect. Then again, all worthwhile love stories are. I’d like you to meet Sallie and Andrew, a perfectly ordinary couple with a perfectly ordinary love story. But now, by transcribing these letters and publishing them online after 124 years, their love belongs to the ages.

P.S. Notes in brackets are mine, and used primarily in reference to sums of money. The amount in brackets has been adjusted for inflation.

Love Always,
Callie R.

Milledgeville, Ga.
Jan. 9th, 1889
Mr. A.D. Echols,
Kind Friend,
On this bleak winter morning, nothing gives me more pleasure than answering your very pleasant letter, which reached me on the 2nd.
Speaking of my writing my last letter on Sunday, no, it didn’t interfere with my religious duties whatever. I attended eleven (11) o’clock service, in the afternoon, Sabbath school, then again, the evening service at 7-8 o’clock.
This week being the week of prayer, services will be held at 3-30 o’clock P.M., during the entire week. On last Monday the meeting was held in the Methodist church. Bro. J.D. Chaptman led the meeting. His subject was “Unity of the Church.” Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) it was held in the Baptist church, and led by Bro. D. McQueen. His subject was “Religion at Home.” This afternoon (Wednesday) the meeting is to be held in the Presbyterian church. The subject is “Religion in Business,” to be led by Bro. J.D. Chaptman. Thursday in the Methodist church, “Religion in College,” to be led by Bro. King. Friday at the Baptist church, “Gospel Temperance,” to be led by Bro. D. McQueen. Saturday at the Presbyterian church, “Parental Responsibility,” to be led by Bro. J.R. King. I do hope that there will much good come of these services. I have had the pleasure of attending the first afternoon and enjoying it very much. Our Presiding Elder will preach for us on Sunday night next. I always enjoy Bro. Lovejoy’s sermons.
Changing the subject a little abruptly, I have a picture of the Conference, and would like to know if you were in the group, as there are several that I can’t distinguish. I would like to know, as there was one that Mama and I both thought was you, but my picture is not perfect at all.
Last night about 8-9 o’clock, the fire alarm was sounded, and to our great surprise found that three stores were on fire. One was a vacant store, one a grocery, and the other a dry goods store owned by a cousin of mine. His loss was about $18.000 [$443.600], with only $7.000 [$172.500] worth of insurance. He has a partner with him, (Mr. W.E. Haygood) who lost his little four-year-old son last Saturday. I feel awful sorry for them, but that won’t do any good. But the Lord knows best what is best for us all, therefore they ought to feel perfectly resigned to his will.
I was glad that you have been enjoying the Xmas Holidays so much. On Tuesday afternoon (Christmas Eve) our Sunday School gave an entertainment for the benefit of the poor of our community. We had a short lecture by Bro. Keener, then we had songs and recitations by the members of the school.
I know you were glad and very proud of your young people for conducting themselves so nicely. The holidays passed off unusually quiet here, I am glad to say.
My promise to pray for you has not been forgotten, as I have remembered you in each and every one of my feeble prayers, so now I will remind you of the same promise to me. Many thanks for that pretty little New Year greeting. Well, I know you are weary reading this badly written and ill-composed letter, so I will close for this time. I remain, as ever,
Your friend,
            Sallie Caraker
____________________________________________________________________
Milledgeville, Ga.
Mar 18, 1889
Mr. A.D. Echols,
Kind Friend,
     I take great pleasure in answering your very pleasant and interesting letter of the 9th inst. Today is a dark, gloomy day. It has been raining all the morning, and the prospects are good to continue the rest of the day.
     Yes, you have no idea how I enjoyed myself. While at Bro. King’s, he had a social gathering for the young people. There was quite a crowd out too, and I was real glad, as Bro. King enjoys young people’s company so much. And how sad to know that this is his last year with us. Everybody seems to love him so much, and the young people are perfectly devoted to him.
     On last Wednesday evening, a young man (Mr. D.R. Knight) joined our church and was received in last night (Sunday). He is quite a nice young man, though comparatively a stranger among us. His home, I believe, is in Columbus, but is now in our city in business. He accompanied me home the night he joined the church, and I told him how glad I was to see him join. So he said that he had been wanting to join some time, but had never made up his mind to do so until Wednesday night. I shall endeavor to do all I can in my weakness to help him along.
     You spoke of being petted while at my Aunt’s. It is real nice to be petted. I like to be petted myself. But as I am the “oldest girl,” I don’t get much petting. I used to be the pet of the household. About two (2) years ago, I had a long spell of pneumonia, was sick fully three (3) months, then the whole family petted me. That spell certainly spoiled me. Yes, the time has come and gone for me to give up, my friend.
She looked so sweet, the night she was married. We decorated the church very prettily. They gave a delightful reception for the attendants, and I think everyone enjoyed it very much. The bride and groom received over forty (40) presents, and they were all so useful.
I know you all are glad you are having your church fixed up. We can rejoice with you, as we were all so glad to have ours repaired.
By the way, how disappointed we were, when the news reached us that the holiness meeting would be held at Stone Mountain. Having the Conference makes us real selfish. We wanted the holiness meeting, and I have heard so many say they wished Conference would meet in M’ville next year.
You spoke of enjoying  reading “Ben Hur, Or, a Tale of the Christ.” I heard it was a very interesting book. Mrs. Hawkins has read it, and she told me it was just grand.
Our peach trees are just beautiful. They are in full bloom. I will be so glad to see the trees put on their mantle of green.
Wasn’t that a bad accident, those people getting killed in that cyclone?
I would very willingly give you one of my photos! But I haven’t one now. But Want to have them taken before long. As soon as I do, will send you one.
Speaking of poetry, I think it is very interesting, Longfellow’s poems especially.
Hope you will enjoy your Quarterly Conference. Please excuse this badly written letter. Will try and do better next time. As ever,
    Your Friend,
         Sally Caraker
P.S. I have often heard you speak of flowers so often, I thought I would send you this little buttonhole bouquet, though I know it will be dead when it reaches you. Please keep it as a token of remembrance.
S.V.C.

[n.b. The notepaper is stained green and brown in spots. Evidence that she did indeed enclose a small bouquet.]
___________________________________________________
Milledgeville, Ga
Apr 29, 1889
Mr. A.D. Echols,
Kind Friend,
     Your highly appreciated letter of the 10th was promptly received and read with great care. I would have been more prompt in answering, but have been unusually busy getting ready for “Memorial Day.” I am going to stop making excuses, as I know you are tired of listening to them.
     Since I received your letter, I have had the pleasure of attending another excursion to the Asylum. The ladies of the Organ Society of our church gave an ice cream festival out there. The Board of Directors of the Dummy Line [another name for a trolley line] gave the ladies half the proceeds made on the Dummy that evening, so by that means we made about $38 [$936] dollars clear profits. There was quite a large crowd out. Both of the coaches were crowded, and everybody enjoyed themselves so much.
     We are to have a prayer meeting in our church every night this week, preparatory to the protracted meeting of the following week. We would be glad to have your help during this meeting, but if you can’t be with us, you can pray for us. Pray for God’s richest blessings on the people of M’ville, as we certainly need it.
     Yes, I am certainly surprised again, at your asking me those questions. I would like for our correspondence to continue, as it has been exceedingly pleasant, and very profitable to me. I don’t know of anything to keep us from continuing our correspondence, but I don’t think I have exactly had time enough to answer all questions as I would like to. I try to do my best at everything I undertake, but I will tell you the truth about this matter. I can talk to anyone so much better than I can write. The reason I am, or was, so surprised over the matter is because I was not expecting anything of the kind. Then I thought there was someone else you had rather put those questions to.
     I don’t know of any news to interest you, but you must excuse the length of this letter. I will try and have the next one more interesting. We are having lovely weather now. Hope it will continue so during our next meeting. Well, I will close, as the dinner bell has just rang.
     Truly your friend,
           Sally Caraker
______________________________________________________
Lavonia, Ga
May 9th 1889
Miss Sallie Caraker
My Dear Friend,
     Your very kind letter was read and read with great delight. I was on my way to visit a sick babe when I got your letter. The child died. It was a very sad occurrence.
     Last Monday being my birthday, I visited my mother. Quite a crowd of my friends had gathered for dinner. It was very enjoyable. I then visited my wife’s people. I went to the grave of my precious wife. While I stood there, I held in my hand your last letter. In my heart I said to her, as it were, ‘there is nothing here that I would be not be glad to know your angel Spirit could read.’ There I prayed that I might be guided by the Spirit.
     Will you please accept a small bunch of flowers, which I plucked from her grave?
     Miss Sallie, you know our mouths speak forth the sentiment of our hearts, but it may be that the mention of these things is unpleasant to you. If so, please do not hesitate to say so. I don’t want to do anything to mar your pleasure.
     I hope God’s rich blessings are attending your meeting.
     You said you thought there was someone else to whom I would have asked those questions. Neither did I know but that you would have much preferred that someone else had asked the questions.
     I would like to know if if it will be agreeable for me to call and see you at two o’clock, Tuesday the 21st of this month. Please answer in time for me to get it next week, as I want to start the following Monday, provided it is agreeable for me to come. I am not acquainted with the running of the trains. If I find out that I can’t get there at the hour mentioned, I will write you.
     I hope you will give yourself over to earnest prayer that we may be guided by the Spirit, and that we may make no mistakes.
     Hoping to hear from, and to see you, soon. I remain devotedly
     Your friend,
          A.D. Echols.

1 comment:

  1. This is my great grandfather!! I don't know that much about that side of my family so I've done research to find them. And this is an amazing find--thank you for posting these. Is there a way to see the rest of the letters?
    echokx@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete