17 April 2012

A History Junkie Exclusive


Here's another letter from our favorite Confederate, Robert Harris. Fortunately, I already had several entries transcribed before today, because I am beyond exhausted. Again, these entries are transcribed exactly as written.



1861
Yorktown Aug 17th

Dear Pa
     Some two weeks ago just on the eve of marching I wrote you a hurried note and have not since had an opportunity of writing. We returned to this place on Wednesday the 14th inst. And O how rejoiced were we to get back. I can not give you in this letter all the particulars of our march as I have written them once and I now hate to think about the trip. We suffered from heat, we suffered from thirst, we suffered from hunger. Gen Magruder had about 6.000 troops with him. We were within 1 ½ mile of New-port News drawn up in line of battle and bantered(?) the enemy to fight. We marched then on to S Hampton and encamped within two miles of that place at night. Two companys from the Va 14th were sent into Hampton and burned it.

They were fired at by the Yankees but they did no damage. You will see or have seen accounts of the burning of the place, both Southern and northern, and they are both highly exaggerated. After we accomplished this we marched back to Bethel and then our Company having been without something to eat for two days except what they could pick up on the road side, which was what an army of 5.000 left behind them, for the crime of leaving camp to buy provisions were put under arrest. He said the Blues were too independent, they knew too much, there were too many gentlemen among them. He intended to show them that they were to fare like the others. Oh how he hate us. He -is like- received letters from friends at home asking him to resign and he has sworn vengeance. He is the most hateful man that ever lived. Every other Regiment had their wagons along filled with provisions cooking utensils

and we had nothing. The sick and exhausted of –of- other regiments were carried in ambulances and wagons. The order was issued to us by our humane Col was if any man falls out of ranks on the march and especially from among the Blues he is to be tied by the thumbs to the wagon. Such is the man under whom we are fighting for freedom. Well he had need of our men so he released and –forgave(?)- our 2nd Lieut who was in command under arrest. He created the impression at Bethel amoung the entire army that his regiment needed watching so he placed our sentinels to the number of 120. He allowed no man to go outside the encampment without his written permission, whereas all others were allowed to roam where they pleased and had no guard out except at night. When we received orders to march to this place we sent up a shout that made the welkin ring. We marched 14 mile in three hours.

He was on a horse of course. When we got here I was so sore and hungry that I could scarcely move one foot before the other. I honestly believe that the men, the entire Regiment will rebel in less than a month if some change is not made. I will lead it in our company and think it no disgrace. Virginia’s motto is mine.
     My dear Father my opinion now is that this war will not end in three or four months. I think we will remain here during the winter. There are some things I will need from home and I will expect you and Ma to see that I get them. All the boys nearly have received boxes from home containing clothing and provisions, tobacco and sugar. Of course you have not the same conveniences for sending such things. How is Sister? I will write to her soon. Does she ever write to Mrs. Cade? I wish she would. Is Uncle John with you yet? Have you heard from John since the battle?

I have received all your letters but those you sent by Tom Smith. Why have you stopped so suddenly? You have no idea how delighted I am to get letters from home. I get letters from nowhere else. Please write you and Sister and Bud regularly every week and you will confer a great favor on me. I will write again soon.
Your Son,
RT Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment